Subject: 3.0 and
To: None <>
From: Aaron J. Grier <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/06/2006 20:17:52
I have a 3000/400 that I recently loaded 3.0_BETA on.  bootstrapping the
world seems like a good torture test, so I started off a  it
died linking the GENERIC.MP kernel, complaining about not enough swap.

the machine has 96MB of RAM and 128MB of swap, so I figured during a it probably has a lot of stuff going on, so I added a 512MB
swapfile, and rebuilt GENERIC.MP:

         Build directory:
         Kernels built from GENERIC.MP:
          /var/obj/amd/aragorn/usr/projects/NetBSD/3/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC.MP/netbsd started: Sun Mar  5 20:49:10 PST 2006 ended:   Mon Mar  6 03:06:48 PST 2006

over six hours to build a kernel?  that seems incredibly excessive, even
for a 133MHz machine.

now that I've verified I can get through this part of the world build,
I'm going to start off another for netbsd-3...  maybe I should
race it against a 25MHz decstation as a sanity check?

  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt