Subject: Config of PCI-SCSI hostadapters in an Alpha 255/300
To: NetBSD alpha <>
From: Uwe Lienig <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/30/2006 16:10:56
Dear all NetBSD alpha users,

To replace my old DEC 5000/125 mail server that gets more and more
behind its task I thought of putting together a AlphaStation 255/300
with NetBSD 2.1. Installation went fine, no problems so far. To be
prepared for future space requirements I thought of having a PCI SCSI
hostadapter in the system to allow for decent drives which I have on hand.

Before I go on in configuring the system I'd like to ask some questions

1. Which one to use?
    I have a spare Dawicontrol DC-2976UW, which uses a NCR 53C875E.
    NetBSD-2.1 configures this card perfectly, but is it tested
    esiop0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Symbios Logic 53c875 (ultra-wide\
    esiop0: using on-board RAM
    esiop0: interrupting at isa irq 5
    scsibus1 at esiop0: 16 targets, 8 luns per targ

    On the other hand I have a ADAPTEC  AHA2940U2W (V2). This hostadapter
    works also. It attaches as

    ahc0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Adaptec 2940 Ultra2 SCSI adapter
    ahc0: interrupting at isa irq 5
    ahc0: aic7890/91: Ultra2 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs
    scsibus1 at ahc0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

2. What about the BIOS config these cards offer under PC-BIOSes?
    Do I have to switch off the SCSI-BIOS. How should I configure
    the SCSI hostadapter under the PC-BIOS. The Dawicontrol does not
    offer a lot of config settings. The Adaptec has a lot of settings.
    Will the Alpha SRM use or even touch these settings?

3. Should I switch to NetBSD-3.0?
    NetBSD-3.0 is somewhat new. Usually, a new release needs some time to
    settle. Is there anything I would benefit from using NetBSD-3.0. I'd
    like to use the system in production with apache and cyrus-imap. I
    think the Alpha will perform quiet well for a workgroup of 20 users.

I searched through the archives but couldn't find anything useful for
question 1 and 2. Question 3 is more a question for opinions. I hope the
third question will not lead to a broad discussion on whether this or
that release is technologically better. I'm only asking from the end
user point of view.

Any help is greatly apprechiated.

Best regards

Uwe Lienig
fon: (+49 351) 462 2780
fax: (+49 351) 462 3476

Forschungsinstitut Fahrzeugtechnik
parcels: Gutzkowstr. 22, 01069 Dresden
letters: PF 12 07 01,    01008 Dresden

Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Dresden (FH)
Friedrich-List-Platz 1, 01069 Dresden