Subject: Re: rpc.statd error
To: sp4rc <sammyshome@gmx.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/30/2005 19:41:57
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:12:19PM +0100, sp4rc wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> the following entry in /var/log/messages shows up every time I reboot my
> machine running NetBSD 2.0.2.
>
> Dec 30 10:23:40 www rpc.statd: Starting
> Dec 30 10:23:40 www rpc.statd: Failed to contact host ^B^C^D^E^F^G: RPC:
> Unknown host
>
> This happens since I have changed the subnetmask. I am quite lost. I
> think I have looked into any configuration file but I just can't figure
> out where this "^B^C^D^E^F^G" string comes from...
>
> [...]
> Any hints on this?

This is a bug in rpc.statd which corrupts its database when it is shutdown
(such as on reboot, or after a /etc/rc.d/nfslocking stop). This has been
fixed recently, at last on netbsd-2 and netbsd-3 (NetBSD 3.0 has the fix).
Now you have to upgrade your rpc.statd, and delete the /var/db/statd.status
file (be carefull if you have NFS client using locks, you'll have to make
sure none of them holds a lock when you do this)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>