Subject: AS1200 and 53c875 SCSI controller
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Kirk <steve@unixnation.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/22/2005 10:27:49
Hi,

Can anyone give me some guidance on bootable SCSI raid controllers for an AS1200?
I've recently obtained an AS1200, or rather Digital 5305 so started it's life as a Windows NT machine.

I'd like to be able to boot NetBSD on this machine, but it currently has an Adaptec 2940UW card.
SRM sees this as an unkown SCSI device and can't boot from it.
OBviously this is due tho the fact there's no support in SRM for it,
however using the alpha NetBSD installation cd has worked perfectly :)

So I'm wondering 2 things:

1) I've seen an LSI 8751SP SCSI card for sale.
This uses the NCR/Symbios 53c875(SP I think) - would I be able to boot
from this card? I'm using the onboard StorageWorks shelf.
I see from the archives that there were problems with 53c875 based controllers.
Have these problems been resolved? It sounded like a driver issue, but I'm not
sure about this.

The section in the archive is here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2001/10/

2) If I can't boot off this card, is it possible to adapt the cdhdtape image
and boot the system off a cd-rom, to the point where enough of the system is
up to load the driver for the Adaptec controller card?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Steve