Subject: Re: Mylex DAC960PL on AS1200
To: sp4rc <sammyshome@gmx.net>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/02/2005 14:47:22
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, sp4rc wrote:

> So far I have no problems initilazing the RAID1-set, but the
> configuration software (RA200RCU.exe) allows me to only setup a RAID5
> set of 32GB. Is this due a controller limitation, or am I doing sth.
> wrong? I have already upgraded to latest firmware :(

  The controller has a limit of 32GB per logical unit.  You can create
one large RAID5 set, but you have to create multiple 32GB logical drives.
(And there is also a limit of 8 logical drives.)

  The ES40 I'm using has 6 18GB drives configured as a single RAID5
drive, but I have 8 logical drives defined.

> If this should really be a limitation, which controller could you
> recommend to me for this purpose? It would be great if it would support
> *BSD/Linux/windows.

  I don't know of any other raid controller that would be supported by
the alpha SRM.  The ES40 I have does support a DPT raid controller, but
I was not able to get it to work with NetBSD (and it's not supported by
OpenVMS, which is what the ES40 will be running).

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant