Subject: Re: X11 with VGA?
To: Einar Karttunen <>
From: David Hopper <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/10/2005 10:16:53
On Aug 7, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Einar Karttunen wrote:

> Hello
> Is it possible to get VGA cards to work under NetBSD/alpha? I have a
> PCI Matrox millenium II card I would like to use in my alphastation,
> but the X server provided in the X sets seems to be tga only.
> At least on the netbsd-3 branch compiling x11/XFree86-* does not seem
> to work (e.g. the libs build results in many errors, but installs
> lacking most libraries from the PLIST file and being unusable).
> Is there a solution to make things work?

Last I checked (which was, admittedly, some time ago), in-tree builds
of x11 using do not work properly.  However, doing a 'make
World' and 'make install' on a clean src/x11 tree (i.e. do not use worked just fine for my alphastation.

The key is to build a static server, which -x will not do.

See, and
PR 29882.