Subject: Re: Announce: DEC AlphaServer 8400 is coming
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/22/2005 11:48:36
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

> I've applied this patch to one of my CS20 systems, and it survived a
> build.sh -j4 release build.  I can't remember for sure just what I had
> been doing to trigger the hangs before, but I think running release
> builds would generally hang a dual AS4000 system I was using.  I'll run
> some more builds and see how it holds up.

Yikes - I was running a process to generate some mail stats graphs (which
I've been running almost every day for quite some time now), and got a
panic which I had been seeing on an ES40, but had not ever seen on the
CS20.  The panic is:

extent_free: start 0x10c000, end 0x10ffff
panic: extent_free: region not found

In some additional output, I had dumped the 'tsp_sgmap' extents, which
shows a cople of extents:

     0x10a000 - 0x10dfff
     0x10e000 - 0x111fff

It looks like something is trying to free an extent which overlaps two
entries in tsp_sgmap.

I had been running a 2.0G kernel prior to this, and had applied the patch
to a 2.99.16 tree (I had been using the CS20 to build kernels for testing
the ES40, but hadn't updated the CS20 system in the mean time).  I did
seem to be able to get around this crash on the ES40 be defining a
partition with .5GB of memory, but never had much time to try tracking
down what was happening.  I guess I'm going to have to work on this
problem now.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant