Subject: Re: Weird problem with syslogd
To: None <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@NetBSD.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/29/2005 12:41:40
> My server seems to have developed a weird problem in the last couple =
of
> days. It's a PC164 running NetBSD 1.6.1 and the problem is that syslo=
gd
> dies without any obious reason. I noticed the problem because newsysl=
og
> reports that there is no pid for syslogd and has done so the last cpl=
 of
> days.
>
> Is there anyone aware of any new exploits that could trigger this?

Yes, I think I know what this is.  This problem (or at least one
quite similar to it) was reported in PR#24682, "syslogd may die
if HUP arrives in a certain phase of DNS lookup".

The fix for this problem was committed on the trunk in revisions
1.64 and 1.65, and was subsequently pulled up to the netbsd-1-6
branch in revision 1.51.2.2 of usr.sbin/syslogd/syslogd.c.

From=20the looks of it, that revision has not (yet) been published
as part of any official binary release in the netbsd-1-6 series,
so you'll have to do a source update along netbsd-1-6 for syslogd
to pick up the fix.

Regards,

- H=E5vard