Subject: Installing NetBSD on an UP2000 and keyboard issues
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jon McGeehan <j@replic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/26/2005 12:55:28
All-

I have had some issues installing netbsd to an UP2000 system, but the
greatest annoyance was the loss of keyboard control during the
installation boot and also subsequent boots (if its going into single user
mode)

When the boot prompts for a terminal type (default vt100) where you would
normally press enter to get past. It locks up on my UP2000 system and I
have no keyboard control. I have also confirmed from at least one other
user that this has happened on their UP2000 during a NetBSD install/boot.
Shortly before this happens all the lights on the keyboard flash (as if
the kb is being probed) then it doesnt work, no caps lock light enabling
or anything. Again, this isnt an issue unless the system is prompting the
local user for terminal type at startup. Otherwise it just boots into the
OS normally.

It looks like just unplugging the PS/2 keyboard and plugging it back in
is a suitable workaround for this issue as the keyboard control is
returned. The alternative is to keep rebooting the system (20+ times) and
wait until you get lucky on bootup.

For the record, I have had a similar issue when booting a 164LX system,
but the problem ocurrs maybe 1 out of every 10 boots so I was able to
ignore it and try again.

I hope this helps someone.

-Jon