Subject: Re: video card
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/23/2005 16:29:53
Hi,

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> I installed NetBSD 2.0 on an Alpha Station 255.
> AFAICS I have a ZLXp-L1 graphics card which is not supported by X11.
> The SRM console identifies it as: Digital PV-PCI Graphics Controller
> and dmesg shows:
>  vga0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: Digital Equipment product 0x0017 (rev. 0x01)
>
> What is the cheapest supported card? Where can I buy it?

If you use the "onboard" X11 stuff, you need some kind of TGA. They exist in
8bit and 24bit, AFAIK only 8bit versions work. ZLXp-E1 and ZLXP-E2 are the ones
you want, i think. There are a bit rare on eBay, but usually they are default
in older alphas.

If you want to use XFree86, look for Elsa Gloria Synergy PCI with 8MB. I have 3
of them each in both Miatas here, running triple-head, works like a charm. But
you need XFree86. I have chosen the Gloria because it also works in Tru64 (and
often they have a DEC part number).

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX