Subject: X11 with ZLXp-E3 framebuffer
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dennis Grevenstein <dennis@pcde.inka.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/27/2005 19:30:37
Hi,

I have been given an Alphastation 200 recently.
It came with a ZLXp-E3 framebuffer which is some
sort of TGA. The first problem was that the
xserver.tgz wasn't installed by default although
I selected everything to be installed. After
reinstalling that I can start X, but it is
really awfully slow. As far as I understand the
graphics card should do much better. I used
a ZLXp-E3 in a Turbo-channel Alpha with Tru64
some (long) time ago.

I tried using XFree86 instead. It's the current
4.4.0 from pkgsrc. When I start X I get this
error in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(--) TGA(0): Chipset: "tga"
(==) TGA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) TGA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) TGA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(WW) TGA(0): Hardware cursor currently only works with BT485 ramdac
(WW) TGA(0): Using SW cursor
(WW) checkDevMem: failed to open/mmap /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)
        linear framebuffer access unavailable
(II) has_bwx = 0
(--) Machine needs sparse mapping
(II) dense base = 0x300000000
(II) memory base = 0x200000000

Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap framebuffer (Bad file descriptor)

XFree86 is setuid root. I couldn't find any useful hints.
Does anyone know what's wrong?

mfg
Dennis

--
There is certainly no purpose in remaining in the dark
except long enough to clear from the mind