Subject: Re: Trouble with xfree86
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/22/2005 18:11:08
Michiel Buddingh' wrote:
> Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@student.utwente.nl> writes:
>>i have been having some trouble getting XFree86 going. I recently
>>purchased an AlphaPC164SX which i am trying to setup as a second
>>workstation.
>>
>>I tried many things, and currently am stuck with one issue: the
>>computer freezes prettty much immediately after i start X, and i
>>can't see console messages. It stops responding to pings, so i think
>>it has a kernel panic (i found several messages on the internet
>>saying this too).
>
> If it's XFree86 (and not XdecNetBSD or something), there might be
> something in /var/log/XFree86.*

Unfortunately, no. After i reboot the file is empty. The file gets wiped
out by the fsck on the next boot i suspect, since fsck says something
about removing some unrefenrenced blocks? I tried mounting the
file-system with the 'sync' option too, to no effect, except for
everything being a lot slower. :(

BTW, It is indeed XFree86, XdecNetBSD is only for TGA cards.

Eike.