Subject: Re: DS10 install: no console messages
To: None <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/2005 15:30:22
Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to install NetBSD 2.0. I've tried two ways to set up my
> DS10: diskless and standard. In both of these methods, I get no
> messages on the console (serial console) after the kernel tells me
> what the filesystem type of the root filesystem is:
>
> Pertinent SRM parameters:

> serial
> unix
>
> The curious thing is that with the standard install, I netbooted but
> sysinstall ran fine on the console. So why is it different
> afterwards?

 What version of the SRM firmware is the DS10 running? If it's less than
 6.2, check out this message:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2002/08/06/0000.html

 Ignore the NFS panic issue i reported in the same message -- that was
later identified as a problem with the network interface driver i was
using.

 Here's what one of my DS10's looks like:

>>>show config
                        COMPAQ AlphaServer DS10 466 MHz

SRM Console:    V6.2-1
PALcode:        OpenVMS PALcode V1.96-82, Tru64 UNIX PALcode V1.90-72

 -johan