Subject: DS10 install: no console messages
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/2005 20:12:53
I'm trying to install NetBSD 2.0. I've tried two ways to set up my
DS10: diskless and standard. In both of these methods, I get no
messages on the console (serial console) after the kernel tells me
what the filesystem type of the root filesystem is:

com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq r: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
st0 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <DEC, TLZ10    (C) DEC, 04a8> tape removable
st0: st0: async, 8-bit transfers
drive empty
st0: sync (100.00ns offset 8), 8-bit (10.000MB/s) transfers
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <COMPAQ  CDR-8435, , 0013> cdrom removable
aceride0:1:0: lost interrupt
        type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
WARNING: preposterous clock chip time
 -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
root file system type: ffs

As far as I can tell from the console, it has hung here. However,
when I was booting diskless, I saw the DS10 mount the root filesystem
and access a load of files -- though it never seems to run inetd,
which is a shame since I uncommented the telnetd line as described in
the console-free install I read at the end of the "Diskless" document.

Pertinent SRM parameters:

>>> show console
serial
>>> show ostype
unix

The curious thing is that with the standard install, I netbooted but
sysinstall ran fine on the console. So why is it different
afterwards?

I'm afraid I'm a *BSD newbie, so please chastise me gently if I've
missed some obvious detail.

--
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT PORTLAND PLYMOUTH
WEST OCCASIONALLY VARIABLE 3 OR 4, BACKING SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5 LATER.