Subject: netboot receives empty nfs root path from bootp server
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michiel Buddingh' <schrijfmenietopditadres@hotmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/06/2005 17:25:43
Hello,
I'm trying to coax an AlphaServer 300 4/266 into netbooting (after various
less gentle attempts to coax the thing into booting from its cd-rom drive
and floppy disk drive have failed), and it's working surprisingly well,
except that the second stage bootloader reports an empty string as the nfs
root path, rather than the rootpath I set up in /etc/bootptab.
Unsurprisingly, it fails to load the netbsd kernel, and booting stops.

Has anyone encountered this particular problem before?  Is there another way
to pass the nfs root path to netboot (say, by a flag I can conveniently set
from the SRM console)?  Is there a mailing list perhaps better suited to
questions like mine? :)

I'll include my /etc/bootptab here, although it certainly _looks_ correct to
me:

dummy:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=0000F8236650:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :lg=192.168.1.5:\
        :ip=192.168.1.10:\
        :hn:\
        :bf=boot.netbsd:\
        :bs=auto:\
        :rp=/export/k/:\
        :vm=rfc1048:

Any help, hints, even grumpy dismissals of *obvious* syntax errors in my
bootptab file will be appreciated :)

regards,
Michiel

MSN Webmessenger overal en altijd beschikbaar http://webmessenger.msn.com/