Subject: Re: DMA and interrupt errors on DS10?
To: <>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/09/2005 14:46:41
"Johan A.van Zanten" writes:
- I've talked to a few friends who work with modern "PCish" hardware more
- than i, and i'm almost certain it's the cables which are garden-variety
- 40-pin, not the fancier 80-wire types meant for the newer, faster DMA
- drives.  I'll try some betetr cables.

	Won't help, as the onboard IDE Controoller isn't able to
do more than PIO/ATA4.

	The reason you see the "degrade" is the driver tries
what the drives claim they can do, but the controller chip
fails..(or thats what I think happens..)

	In any event, "it's normal".

	Oh, and becareful with any drive requiring more than
LBA32 addressing.. The controller chip doesn't seem to be able
to handle that either..

Eric Schnoebelen
    Glossary:  compu-dinosaur: N, A computer guru stuck in time. (is
    happy with a TeleVideo terminal and a modem).  Most probably the
	      guy you learned everything you know from.