Subject: Re: 2.0 on DEC3000 drops to debugger if console is not connected
To: None <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/2004 22:49:35
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:42:27 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:

> You could check with something like
>
>    stty -a -f /dev/console

...gives me...

cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
        -cdtrcts

...so hardware flow control is turned off at this point.

Doing a continue from the debugger tells me that the system stops booting long before it reads sysctl.conf.

I put ddb.fromconsole=0 into /etc/sysctl.conf and I see the trace which this generated during startup but this is after the point where the system halts if the console is not connected.

Looking at the original stack trace I can see that it is likely the zstty driver is incorrectly thinking it has been sent a break. Also, this seems to happen before any config files are read, so it is unlikely I will be able to configure my way out of this.

I think I am going to have to download the sources and debug it.

Thanks again.
--
Michael Smith