Subject: Re: Booting from floppy
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/2004 13:50:54
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Fri_Dec_31_13:50:42_2004-1

     b> Does that build an image that has the loader in it as well

installboot is invoked by the Makefiles.  The command is supposed to
produce three floppies of the same kind you downloaded when you
installed.  The only difference is, now you get to choose your kernel,
so you can choose GENERIC.MP, and you can leave out the sysinst
ramdisk.

There's another way I forgot to mention.  You are supposed to be able
to use '>>> boot -flags n' to get the kernel to prompt you for the
root device so it's not necessary to change that 'config ...' line and
rebuild your kernel, and now that I reread your question more
carefully, I see you already knew that.

so, the real answer is, if the SRM doesn't support the SCSI
controller, then the bootloader won't either.  So, no, you can't boot
the kernel off the hard disk, even with the 'i' option.

--
The auditing that is conducted on slot machine software in the U.S. is
significantly more meticulous than what is done to voting software.