Subject: Re: Booting from floppy
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: None <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/2004 11:28:28
In message <oqacruqxjf.fsf@castrovalva.Ivy.NET>, Miles Nordin writes:
>Normal kernel configs say:
>config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
>which means the bootloader will tell the kernel from where it was
>loaded, and the kernel will try to use that as the root filesystem.

So does the loader then default to specifying the same device
it loaded from?

Excellent.  I'm just now returning to NetBSD after several years
and am re-learning where to find things.

>To make your own floppy sets, I've done it for i386 but can't give you
>a foolproof procedure.  I just tested this and think it will work for
>$ cd /usr/src/distrib/alpha/floppy-GENERIC
>$ make USETOOLS=no FLOPPYMAX=3 FLOPPYKERNEL=/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GE

I'll give that a try.  Does that build an image that has the loader
in it as well, or should I spend some more quality time with the
installboot man page?

>However, I think you will not want to change floppies, so you should
>learn to boot over the network with a tftp and dhcp server.

Eventually I do want to netboot it.  However, at the moment, the
Ethernet card (3c905) is also unsupported by SRM.  When I was
updating the console, however, I noticed that they do have support
for the Intel card.  So I'll keep an eye open for one of those.

Thanks for the info.
Brian L. Stuart