Subject: Re: Booting from floppy
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <blstuart@bellsouth.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/30/2004 22:46:32
In message <20041230194410.JZMW2042.imf18aec.mail.bellsouth.net@bellsouth.net>,
 blstuart@bellsouth.net writes:
>The installation page
>says that in such cases one should either netboot or always
>boot from floppy.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to do
>that latter.

I know it's bad form to reply to your own message, but between
the time I sent it and the time I got it through the list,
things have changed a bit.  I've discovered the -i and -n
boot flags.  I can boot with the -n and give my newly installed
partition and come up fine.  However, there are a couple of
things that are less than ideal with this.  First, it takes
quite a while to boot from the floppies this way loading a
root that I don't need.  Also I'd like to run the MP kernel
since I have both processors populated.  So, can I use the
-i flag to specify a kernel file on a SCSI drive?  If so,
how?  Otherwise, how can I go about building my own boot
floppies (or better CD) using the MP kernel and defaulting
to using sd0a as root?

Again, TIA,
Brian L. Stuart