Subject: Re: 2.0 on DEC3000 drops to debugger if console is not connected
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/30/2004 07:01:08
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:00:04 +0100
Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

<snip>

> If you prepare your Alpha to boot right into NetBSD upon power up /
> reset and if you have configured the network (IP number, sshd(8)
> enabled), unconnect the console cable at the Alpha. It should just
> work.

Yes, it should work, and it did when I had NetBSD 1.6 on this machine. Now that I have upgraded to 2.0 it refuses to start without the console cable and terminal device/PeeCee connected.

I supose the likely cause is a regression in the zstty driver between versions 1.6 and 2.0. I don't have a copy of the sources from cvs (anonymous cvs being down at the moment) so I can't check for recent changes. Can anybody suggest a patch or configuration change I can try? Is anybody else running this software/hardware combination at the moment?

> If you connect the console later and the machine jumps into
> ddb(4) because there was a break, type "c" (short for "continue")
> <Return> and the machine should continue to run where it was stoped.

I will try "c" to continue. Thanks for your reply and advice.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications