Subject: Re: Upgrade snag with tlp0 in Alpha PWS 433
To: Michael Kukat <>
From: Rhialto <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/2004 18:44:01
On Wed 29 Dec 2004 at 18:18:00 +0100, Michael Kukat wrote:
> 	address: 00:00:f8:75:48:2b
> 	media: Ethernet autoselect instance 1 (none)
> 	status: active
> 	inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
> 	inet6 fe80::200:f8ff:fe75:482b%tlp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> Hm. I also got (none) here, but i'm currently writing these lines via exactly
> this link. Maybe there is something broken in PHY programming. Did you try if
> you have link or did you just believe what ifconfig tells you?

I did try it, in most cases, I think... I had a continuous ping running.
Usually I got "status: no carrier", in some cases I didn't get that line
at all until I tried to access something through the interface before it
became "no carrier".

To be sure, I just checked autoselect again:

$ sudo ifconfig tlp0 media autoselect
increased mask to 0xffffffff		(my kernel hack)
$ ifconfig tlp0
        address: (something)
        media: Ethernet autoselect instance 1 (none)
        status: no carrier
        inet (something)...
        inet6 (something)...
$ ping
PING ( 56 data bytes
^C PING Statistics----
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

> It's definitely something to have a look into, but maybe it "just works" for
> you also.

Alas not.

                           -- Ceterum censeo "authored[1]" delendum esse.
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- [1] Ugly English neologism[2].
\X/ rhialto/at/   -- [2] For lawyers whose English/Latin is below par.