Subject: Re: "-mcpu=21264a" for kernel compile?
To: Hiroshi Hakoyama <hhako@seagreen.ocn.ne.jp>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/12/2004 12:01:19
Hi !

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Hiroshi Hakoyama wrote:
> Can I use the flag "-mcpu=21264a" safely for kernel compile?
> /usr/pkg/bin/cpuflags provides this flag for my box, UP1000. I am not
> sure, but a kernel compiled without "-mcpu=21264a" seems to be more
> stable on the box.

I use -mcpu=ev56 on my Miata since a while, i even compiled the whole 2.0
userland with this. No problems so far. Just try it :)

> When I tried to compile a GENERIC kernel (# ./build.sh tools
> kernel=GENERIC), a kernel of NetBSD 2.0 compiled with "-mcpu=21264a" on
> UP1000  showed following kernel panic. This kernel panic may be related
> to send-pr #27139 (I also used "-mcpu=21264a" for kernel compile).

If you get into trouble with those optimizations, just try the next lower
level. As said, EV56 works fine here.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX