Subject: Re: installing on 2100A
To: Paul Baughman <phb1@psulias.psu.edu>
From: Tom Ponsford <tponsford@theriver.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/10/2004 09:27:07
I too have a 2100A, its rackmounted. The 2100A differed from the 2100, in that
it had a "segmented" pci bus,a different I/O module, and some other subtle
differences in the SMP frequency timing, which so far, no one has got a handle
on, either with netbsd or freebsd.

I was working with Andrew Gallatin, who wrote much of the original code for
the AS2100 for Freebsd. Unfortunatly the machine was a production server
running VMS, and I was only playing with it when replacing some disks, so I
was not able to help find the problem. I too had tried the RH 7.2
distribution, which crapped out on me during the install. I never got around
to try the debian or gentoo distribution to see if they had incorporated the
RH and HP code from the wrapper cdrom.

Interestingly, the machine installed and ran FreebSD 4.4 in uniprocessor mode
fine. I also managed to boot a uniprocessor netbsd kernel..1.5.2 ?? or 1.6 in
all the way up to the disk recognition where it refused to recognized any scsi
disks.

I too would like to see a bsd on these machines, The one I have has 4 275Mhz
processors and 1 GB of memory, so it should be pretty zippy.

If you have the time and the understanding you might work with Andrew and get
to the bottom of the problem, He just need someone to apply patches and run
the test kernels.

Cheers

Tom

--
---
Please do not read this sig. If you have read this far, please unread back to