Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/27/2004 09:19:23
Hi !

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Mozilla runs "fine" here on NetBSD/alpha 2.0RC4. But it's extremely sloooow
> > (besides the fact that if often crashes).
>
> Hmmm....  that's weird.

Hm. Just checked a different behaviour i recently saw... If i give it some time
after start, setting dust on to of the window :), it works quite better. If i
start it, and as soon as the window appears, put an URL in it, the
autocompleten is remarkably slow, the page needs a lot of time to load, and
usually, it crashes quite soon.

Besides this...

mozilla-bin in free(): warning: chunk is already free.

Zillions of this after terminating...

"not really perfectly clean" :)

And to avoid confusions: i'm talking about pkgsrc mozilla-gtk2. Yes, i like it
bloated, the Miata is nearly my fastest machine at home, and 768 MB RAM makes
it useable.

> However I've been unable to get any Mozilla derivative to install
> successfully since pkgsrc went to MOS_VER=1.7*.

Hm. pkgsrc-2004Q3 works fine, it's an 1.7.3 there. Just besides some
instability issues. Any yes, opening the Mail thingy also crashes it here. 90MB
core for a web browser. Okay...

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX