Subject: increasing MAXDSIZ and MAXSSIZ on 1.6.x?
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/15/2004 16:48:14
Is it "safe" (i.e. possible) to increase MAXDSIZ and MAXSSIZ on 1.6.x?

Google searches reveal all kinds of horror stories from folks who've
tripped over problems when doing this in the past (e.g. various limits
in kernel mem*() and malloc() functions, etc.) but there's some hint
that it may be safe and workable now, on alpha at least.

Re-encountering the '-O2' blowup when cross-compiling sha1.c for a
32-bit target had me at first trying to increase "datasize" and
"stacksize" using login.conf only to eventually re-discover that the
kernel silently imposes an absolute maximum on these values.  (of course
increasing the limit won't really help poor old gcc-2.95.3 with that
compile :-)

I've got a client with a 16GB machine (which will probably be upgraded
to 32GB before it reaches its EOL) and there may be times when we want
to do some very large in-memory operations (e.g. in-core sorting) and it
would be a real shame to be limited to 1GB process sizes!

--
						Greg A. Woods