Subject: Re: libkvm problems on alpha, but not sparc or i386 (netbsd-1-6)
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/01/2004 15:29:18
[ On , September 30, 2004 at 14:05:47 (-0400), Nathan J. Williams wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: libkvm problems on alpha, but not sparc or i386 (netbsd-1-6)
>
> Well, once you've got a kmem groveller, it could just check a kernel
> variable too, but yes. It would be possible if slightly awkward for
> libkvm to have both LOCKDEBUG and non-LOCKDEBUG versions of functions
> that look at such structures, and figure out which one to use at
> runtime. Not sure it's worth the effort, though.

I wasn't thinking of going quite that far -- just enough smarts to know
when the necessary data will be either unavailable or garbage.

At this point I'm just going to rebuild the world with LOCKDEBUG as I'd
rather pay the price for having the debug information available on my
production SMP systems than not be able to reproduce such bugs on a test
system.

(I don't think I've ever seen any trouble with DEBUG vs. libkvm users on
sparc or i386 where I typically run DEBUG kernels on test systems and
non-DEBUG on production systems.)

--
						Greg A. Woods