Subject: RE: how to create bootable netbsd disk from Tru64 UNIX?
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/18/2004 13:04:22
[ On Saturday, September 18, 2004 at 08:43:12 (-0700), Tim Rightnour wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: how to create bootable netbsd disk from Tru64 UNIX?
>
> In the past, when working on sysinst under alpha, I used to have an extra drive
> installed in the machine.  I would generate sysinst images, (the big cdhdtape
> ones) and dd those to a drive, and then boot off them.  It's very easy to do
> this way.  You can allways crossbuild additional images if you need to modify
> something, and just dd another one to the drive.

Yeah, OK, that's kind of what I was thinking of for "option #2".

I have an Alpha running NetBSD-1.6_STABLE here at home so at least I
don't have to do a full cross-architecture build....

I'm not sure I really want to got to the effort of re-arranging the
cdhdtape image build procedures so that I can build test images with
different non-INSTALL, non-memory disk, kernels though.

I think I'll just keep working on getting an NFS server set up so I can
netboot it for testing -- copying kernels up to the NFS server is a lot
faster and easier than copying cdhdtape images, even if I used rsync.

--
						Greg A. Woods