Subject: Re: Serial console
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/20/2004 12:18:47
On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 15:31, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:17:37 +0200
> Carsten Friede <cfriede@wh8.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>
> > This cute little box is ready for work, but one feature I still need
> > on it. Login via serial console.
> What is your problem? Connect a NULL modem cable, disconnect keyboard
> and mouse [1], start minicom(1) / tip(1) / cu(1) / kermit(1) / what ever
> terminal program and that's it.
>
> [1] IIRC the 300 machines switch to serial console automagically when no
> keyboard is connected. If not do a "set console s" on the SRM promt when
> using the framebuffer console for the last time. Only the 400 (big
> desktop) and 500 (deskside) machines have a "S3" switch for selecting
> the console like VAXstations.

In the 3000/300 handbook it says detaching the keyboard/mouse extension
cable should be enough to enable a serial console at restart.  I've
always found this a bit unreliable in practice for some reason, so I
used the alternative method: enabling a serial console via the W2 jumper
on the mainboard.

Going from memory, I believe the W2 jumper is located at the front edge
of the mainboard, between the internal SCSI connector and the RAM
sockets.  Here are the pin assignments:

Pins 1 and 2 selected: enable graphics console
Pins 2 and 3 selected: enable serial console
Pins 3 and 4 selected: reserved

So, to force a serial console, you set the jumper on the middle two
pins.

Cheers,

Paul.
--