Subject: Re: Kernel panics with pci network cards (fxp and ex)
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/02/2004 19:02:02
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:17:18PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 06:39:20PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> > > Did you try "ifconfig ex0" when the interface is not configured?
> > >
> > > It seems that my 3c905 works on my AlphaStation 500 also, but not when it
> > > is not configured. I "fixed" the problem with this patch:
> >
> > Right, I have the problem too. I'll try to have a look at this,
> > it looks like an uninitialised pointer.
> > Does anyone know if there's a PR open on this ?
>
> Yes, there is: port-alpha/25788.

OK, I finally managed to take care of this. I commited a fix to current
and will request a pullup.
Your analysis in the PR is correct, but I found that the place of
the trap isn't where ddb/tr say. Using single-step, I found it gets
the trap at write time, which correspond to GO_WINDOW(4) in the code.
mii_bitbang_readreg() is never called.
In the non-mii case there is a GO_WINDOW(4) too, and I suspect this was
what caused the trap too.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>