Subject: AlphaStation 600 5/266 woes
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/24/2004 21:29:04
Okay, here's the situation. My DEC AlphaStation 600 5/266 has not been
physically powered off in a long time - possibly close to a year.
There was just a power failure to the house, and I have no UPS. My
UltraSPARC and two IA32 boxes came back up (after much fscking) just
fine. The Alpha isn't booting at all.

The LCD on the front shows, or rather, used to show, the SROM version,
and fe.fd.fc.whatever - the POST sequences, before settling into
saying "Model 5/266" when it boots.

It's showing nothing now. I put the video card back in (I typically
use serial console, and thus had pulled out the gigantic PCI video
card that came with it), and nothing is coming up there either.
Nothing shows up on serial, serial break doesn't drop me to SRM,
control-c on the keyboard doesn't drop me to SRM. I'm out of ideas.
Did this power failure fry my Alpha?

Any hints at all would be greatly appreciated - this Alpha is my main
mailserver, and reinventing the custom settings I had on it on another
box will be very time consuming.