Subject: Fwd: RTC on AlphaStation 600 5/266
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/09/2004 22:45:09
(forgot to CC this to the list, still getting used to gmail :)

On Mon, 10 May 2004 00:36:44 -0400, Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 2004, at 12:20 AM, Sean Davis wrote:
> > Hi, I'd like to replace the aging DS1287 RTC in my AlphaStation 600
> > 5/266
> > with a DS12887 (of which I have two, never used, DS sent them to me for
> > free). My issue is this: I'm very hesitant to go soldering on a
> > motherboard.
> > Is there anyone who has done this, and/or can point me to some sort of
> > guide
> > for best practices in motherboard-desoldering-and-resoldering? I don't
> > want
> > to fry my alpha :)
>
>    I do this sort of work all the time.  Is this a surface mount chip,
> or a through-hole?

I'm not entirely certain. All I know (since I haven't taken the
motherboard out) is that it's mounted flush to the motherboard. I am
assuming by "through-hole" you mean it's stuck through holes on the
board and soldered on the back? If so, I'm pretty sure that's the
case: I don't see any solder near it on the board.

-Sean