Subject: Re: compaq c compiler is working ?
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nikos Ntarmos <ntarmos@ceid.upatras.gr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/11/2004 23:49:48
On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 03:50:45PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Tuesday, March 9, 2004 at 23:28:38 (+0100), Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it wrote: ]
> > has anyone tryed to run compaq c compiler (ccc) succesfully on NetBSD/alpha?
> I'm fairly certain it does not work properly though I've not fully
> installed it.

FreeBSD has a port for ccc (lang/compac-cc), so maybe that's a good
starting point. I don't have any NetBSD/alpha boxen left around, thus
I can't look at it right now. I do plan, however, to go get another hd
for my 164sx and throw a -current on it some time in the near future,
but have no clue as to when will that be.

FWIW, the above port runs ccc as a linux emulated binary and allows
you to use ccc for stuff not relying on gcc-isms. As is also the case
in linux, the performance improvement I see here (pca56) vs. gcc 3.3.3
is in the order of 2x for fp-intensive code (ccc is winning, of
course). Obviously, ccc on FBSD has at least the same limitations as
on linux (i.e. you can't compile gcc-tweaked sources -- such as the
kernel -- and there are some issues with producing dynamic libraries,
etc.) Other than that, ccc is fully functional for me.

\n\n

--
 Nikos "Noth" Ntarmos    | < ntarmos at ceid dot upatras dot gr >
 NetCINS Lab. @ C.E.I.D. | [ http://{noth,p2p}.ceid.upatras.gr/ ]