Subject: Re: compaq c compiler is working ?
To: None <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/11/2004 15:50:45
[ On Tuesday, March 9, 2004 at 23:28:38 (+0100), Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it wrote: ]
> Subject: compaq c compiler is working ?
>
> has anyone tryed to run compaq c compiler (ccc) succesfully on NetBSD/alpha?
> any hints to install it ?

I'm fairly certain it does not work properly though I've not fully
installed it.

NetBSD's system headers still contain far too many GCC specific
"features", even with "_ANSI_SOURCE" defined, let alone without.

Apparently the Intel folks have worked much harder to include GCC
specific features in their compiler in order to support the likes of
compiling on/for GNU/Linux, but I don't see much hope for HP doing such
work on the good old DEC Alpha compiler they've inherited.

In an ideal world NetBSD's headers (and perhaps someday even all the
system sources as well) would not rely on GCC features.  In the mean
time it may be possible to write edit scripts to munge the headers into
a more acceptable syntax, just as the GCC folks do to system headers
they don't like.  :-)

The next question would be ABI compatability and linking with system
libraries -- I didn't get anywhere near to investigating that part yet.

--
						Greg A. Woods