Subject: Re: is mozilla very slow on alpha, or is mozilla-gtk2 slow everywhere?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/05/2004 19:41:19
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 04:05:17PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Monday, March 1, 2004 at 16:00:22 (+0100), Jochen Kunz wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: is mozilla very slow on alpha, or is mozilla-gtk2 slow everywhere?
> >
> > I was told that ld.elf_so on Alpha in the 1.6-STABLE branch is slow.
>
> Yes, ld.elf_so on alpha is very slow -- I wouldn't say any worse than on
> other platforms though.
>
> > AFAIK this was fixed in -current after the 1.6-RELEASE.
> > Maybe you should think about a upgrade to -current. This should be
> > good for MP anyway.
>
> I would like to but I'm going to stick with the netbsd-1-6 branch for
> now.  I don't have the time or resources to properly manage two
> different "releases" on my own machines.

Mozilla 1.4 runs decently on a 600MHz 21164A. I'm running 1.6 but
I installed the -current ld.elf_so shortly after they improved it.
The upgraded ld.elf_so made Mozilla go from useless to decent, and
Gnumeric on my 233MHz 21064A because decent as well.

(I hope Greg reads the list. I can't mail him directly.)
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...