Subject: Re: NoName & ATA cd-rom
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/02/2004 10:02:07
Well, I'm afraid I can't define it, since it's dependent on the load of
the machine. The problem is that the ATA controller can't use DMA, only
PIO mode is possible. You should definitely stick with SCSI if possible
since it doesn't have the same problems of being load dependent.

A 6X IDE burner _might_ work, but I wouldn't count on it. If some process
happens to eat some CPU in the middle of the burning process, you might
not be able to feed data to the burner at the rate needed. If the burner
has buffer-underrun protection of some kind, and the software can use it,
it will work though.

cheers,
Anders

--
This cool Mail was sent on Tue 03/02/04 at 0:50AM PST

Worlds are conquered, galaxies destroyed -- but a woman is always a
woman.
		-- Kirk, "Conscience of the King", stardate unknown

* Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 (0)70 6770210
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
* SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
* SWEDEN