Subject: Re: is mozilla very slow on alpha, or is mozilla-gtk2 slow everywhere?
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/01/2004 18:20:17
Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:57:07AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
>>I finally got mozilla-gtk2-1.6nb2 to build, install, and run on my
>>alpha, but I find it deathly slow.  Netscape-4.6 was faster on my
>>ancient 486sx25!  My alpha is no slouch though it is currently running
>>only one of its CPUs as the SMP code is currently too flaky on alpha
>>with 1.6.2_RC2:
>
> I was told that ld.elf_so on Alpha in the 1.6-STABLE branch is slow.
> AFAIK this was fixed in -current after the 1.6-RELEASE.
> Maybe you should think about a upgrade to -current. This should be
> good for MP anyway.

But on -current Mozilla won't even compile out-of-the-box. Or at least
this was the case with previous Mozilla, I haven't tried 1.6 (see
PR #23240)

And even after patching Mozilla (or I was trying Firebird at the time)
to compile, it won't run, but dies silently (and since gdb is useless
on -current, I didn't find out exactly why/where (PR #24218)).

   -- Arto