Subject: lk401 keyboard protocol?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/22/2004 03:45:50
Does anyone know of any doc on the protocol spoken by the LK401?  I've
got one, and while I can deduce some of the protocol from the driver,
there are some problems.  Specifically, both shift keys give me the
same code, and both "Alt Function" keys and the right-hand "Compose
Character" key are completely dead.  While the shift keys could be
wired together, the presence of an LK_KEY_R_SHIFT define argues against
that, and surely the other three keys are not supposed to be dead.

I conjecture that at least some of this is because it's running in
LK201 mode; on comparing it to an LK201 I note that the three dead keys
have no obvious analogues on the LK201.

Looking at the driver, this does not appear to be a wscons keymap
issue; I'm getting events, rather than translating, and looking at the
code paths I see very little translation going on between the keyboard
and the events.

This leaves me looking for enough protocol docs to tell the keybaord to
do these.  There are the LK_ENABLE_401 and LK_MODE_CHANGE defines, but
it's not at all clear whether sending LK_ENABLE_401 and expecting
LK_MODE_CHANGE is the right thing (and then presumably I'd just see
three, or preferably four, new codes coming back from the keyboard).
But I have no idea what other changes LK401 mode may entail.  I can, of
course, just try it, but would rather have the real doc if I can.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign