Subject: Re: AlphaServer 2100 5/250 crashes on boot.
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/27/2004 12:51:31
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:59:12AM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> I have no problems running my system on the normal GENERIC kernel.
I think I tried to boot a 1.6 non-MP kernel from the official 1.6 dist
sets some time ago and got the same error. Sorry, I can't remember.

> You look like you got a broken CPU#0, or rather the cache on that
> card. Have you tried another CPU as CPU#0?
No.

> My problems only start when I try MP.
Some time ago I had an AlphaServer 2000 dual 4/200 that had the same
problems like your machine. Run fine with non-MP kernel but paniced
with a MP kernel when it was going to mount the root-fs. So probably
the is related to EV5 vs. EV4 CPUs.

> It would be interesting if you got the system running, by the way.
The machine run Tru64 UNIX 5.1A fine last week.

> Otherwise you have a much nicer hardware setup than me. You don't happen
> to have one or two CPUs extra? :-)
No, I am very glad to have this three 5/250 CPUs. But I need some wide
SCSI BA356 boxes and two more 512 MB memory modules... ;-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen