Subject: building -current release & MP
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/19/2004 20:49:01
<Short of it, MP kernel doesn't build, rest of release does, so
releng will work again if GENERIC-MP can be sorted>

Hi guys,
I have an AlphaStation 200 4/166 running:

NetBSD alpha 1.6Z NetBSD 1.6Z (prez) #0: Tue Sep 16 11:10:00 EDT 2003
mikeride@
alpha:/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/prez alpha

I'm working on updating that as well as my Macs to a more -current
current. I had issues using my macppc as the host with the nfs
sources on the alpha, so I moved to trying to compile on the alpha. I
deleted the obj, dest & release directories & recreated them. The
first run through on Jan 14, it stopped building GENERIC-MP. Command
was:

./build.sh -O /usr/obj-alpha -D /usr/destdir-alpha -R
/usr/release-alpha release

On the 17th, I tried again (having updated between the tries), adding
-u to save some time on the poor 166 MHz, & it again failed again
building the MP kernel. This morning, I changed the GENERIC-MP file &
commented out the 2 lines, since I don't care about it at all (even
though it's a hot topic lately ;). On that run through, it ended up
with an flist error, with a libc.so change from 12.109 to 12.110 so
there were 2 files leftover in the destdir (but at least the
compilation went through). I'm currently running through a -u build
again but am confident it should work.

I started downloading the Jan 3 releng release to update if needed
(that's the latest success), but it seems I'll be able to get through
my own build & won't need it. My email is mainly to point out that if
"we" can figure out why the MP kernel won't build, then the releng
releases will be successful again (I wouldn't have a clue, so my use
of "we" really means "you" ;).

Thanks for your time,
Mike
--