Subject: Re: MP?
To: None <woods@weird.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/18/2004 21:59:04
> > Yes.  I have a cs20 which at the moment runs 1.6ZG from Dec 8 2003.=

> > When it's not doing builds, it mostly runs setiathome on both CPUs,=

> > and for that workload it seems to be pretty stable.
>
> The way you have worded that last sentence suggests it's not as
> stable when doing builds.

Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to imply that.  In my experience,
it's also been stable when I've been doing builds.

> Can you do a full build using both CPUs with a -current kernel
> without experiencing any lockups or panics?

Well, I've not updated since Dec 8 2003, so I'm not quite on the
bleeding edge right now.  Furthermore, most of my build runs have
been done "-j 1", so for the build itself the execution of the
individual steps has been serialized.

> How about if there's a good bit of NFS traffic also occuring
> (e.g. with sources on NFS)?

I'm not doing NFS on my cs20, so I can't tell.

> I certainly can't get very far with netbsd-1-6 on my 4000.  :-(

I tried running code from netbsd-1-6 initially on my cs20, but
switched to -current after a few crashes/hangs, and when a few
port-specific MP fixes were committed to the trunk (and not
pulled up), if I recall correctly.  It's been a while.  In short,
I would recommend you re-try with more -current bits.

Regards,

- H=E5vard