Subject: AlphaStation 255 trouble
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/13/2004 06:26:03
I was reconstructing (onto a newly-added spare) a RAIDFrame set that
had a failed component, when the kernel paniced. Unfortunately, that
was the end of it. The machine will no longer boot. And despite that
it's not a NetBSD problem, this seems like a likely group of folks to
help me solve it.

In lieu of SRM, I now get a 1-1-4 beep code, which the Digital
AlphaStation 255 Family User Information manual tells me means:

     (1) The SROM code could not read the DROM (diagnostic read only
memory)
     or flashROM headers, or (2) there was a checksum failure.

This sounds rather inconvenient.

I had rebooted the machine minutes before (also because of a RAIDFrame
panic relating to the original drive failure). The second, more fatal
panic didn't actually cause a reboot. It just hung during "syncing
disks...," so I hit the reset button. That was when I first heard the
beep codes. Is it conceivable that this particular sequence corrupted
the SRM image?

I checked the list archives, and I notice that some people have solved
beep-code problems by replacing the battery. I've measured the battery
voltage at a reasonable 3.089 V, so I doubt that's it. I'll replace it
tomorrow (when the stores open), though, if I have no other clues.

I notice that there's a setting on the config switch to boot from
floppy. I only hope that there's a floppy image out there that I can
use to correct this problem. I can't reflash by typing commands at the
SRM, of course, because I can't get that far. Does the boot floppy
technique just Do The Right Thing, without needing to type at a prompt?
Does anyone know where I might find such a floppy image?

Does anyone have any other thoughts? My home directory and NetBSD
(among other) source is on that RAID set, so having this machine
running again would be very useful.

Thanks for any help,
- Geoff