Subject: Re: tlp or de?
To: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/29/2003 21:58:36
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 08:32:55PM +0200, Arto Huusko wrote:
> tlp0: receive error: MII error
> tlp0: receive error: dribbling bit
> tlp0: receive error: CRC error

Seen that too, some times. At one time I suspected bad cabling (or a losing
connector), but I've never realy found out (the machine this happened with
died, and other tulip cars I have don't show the symptom).

> I was just wondering whether there might be any difference
> or advantage in using de driver or tlp?

The de driver is older and replaced by the tlp driver. Generally tlp provides
better results - but you might try it. For me this happened (IIRC) with both
drivers.

> Or might it be sensible to replace tlp1 with a spare rtk NIC?

Uh oh - tulip chipsets are considered pretty good, while rtk ones are just
cheap. I wouldn't swap a tulip for a rtk.

Martin