Subject: Re: XFree86 on alpha
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/15/2003 17:25:15
"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

>> The noticeable difference between XDecNetBSD and XFree86 is that you
>> cannot use the wscons virtual consoles with XDecNetBSD, while you can
>> when you run XFree86.
>
>Hopefully someone is working on fixing this problem.  It should be
>possible to add wscons support to any X11 server, though I've no idea
>what level of difficulty this would be for XDecNetBSD.

XDecNetBSD does support wscons.  wscons on the tga-based cards on
the alpha (or other fb cards, IIRC) does not do virtual terminals.

>> Also, XFree86 cannot control the TGA or PMAX
>> cards because they're graphics-only (no VGA-compatibility mode).
>
>I don't think that's exactly true.  Note there is a "tga" driver for the
>XFree86 version of the Xserver, though I suspect it can currently only
>be used with PCI-attached TGA cards:

The TGA cards are all PCI.  XF86 looks like it supports the 21030
series, but not the TGA2's (PowerStorm 3d30 and 4d20.)

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/