Subject: Re: I cannot install netbsd on an AlphaStation 400
To: Leo de Lange <LeoLange@wxs.nl>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/31/2003 17:25:07
--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:08:36PM +0100, Leo de Lange wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I tried to install netbsd on a Alphastation 400 and it did not work.=20
> Before you go talking about firmware and such, it is as machine that=20
> was previously owned by Global Knowledge and is up to date. It even=20
> runs (with a hobbyist license) OpenVMS V7.3-1.
>=20
> I wanted to install netbsd from CD on an empty disk (RZ28, a 2 GB=20
> disk), but at the end of the installation procedure, I get the=20
> message that I should reboot. I removed the CD and hit the "return"=20
> key. I received the following message:
> 	uid 0 comm sysinit on /: file system full
> 	/: write failed, file system is full
> 	setmentation fault.

sysinst is broken. I've had that happen on both alpha and sparc64, -current
and 1.6.1_STABLE.

> Anyway, I booted from the new disk, but the boot process stopped with=20
> the following message (I hope I copied it correctly from the screen):
> 	root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
> 	root file system type: ffs
> 	/: bad dir ino 10689 at offset 1536: mangled entry
> 	panic: bad dir
> 	stopped in pid 8 (init) at cpu_debugger +0x4: ret zero,(ra)
> 	db>
>=20
> What to do next? (or: Where did I go wrong?)

I would do the install again, and when it does that segfault, run stty sane
then sync;umount -a -t ffs (to sync and unmount the filesystem(s) you just
installed to) That might help.

I haven't seen that panic before, so my best guess is that the filesystem
got hosed when sysinst dies.

HTH,
-Sean

--