Subject: I cannot install netbsd on an AlphaStation 400
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Leo de Lange <LeoLange@wxs.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/31/2003 21:08:36
Hello,

I tried to install netbsd on a Alphastation 400 and it did not work.
Before you go talking about firmware and such, it is as machine that
was previously owned by Global Knowledge and is up to date. It even
runs (with a hobbyist license) OpenVMS V7.3-1.

I wanted to install netbsd from CD on an empty disk (RZ28, a 2 GB
disk), but at the end of the installation procedure, I get the
message that I should reboot. I removed the CD and hit the "return"
key. I received the following message:
	uid 0 comm sysinit on /: file system full
	/: write failed, file system is full
	setmentation fault.

Anyway, I booted from the new disk, but the boot process stopped with
the following message (I hope I copied it correctly from the screen):
	root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
	root file system type: ffs
	/: bad dir ino 10689 at offset 1536: mangled entry
	panic: bad dir
	stopped in pid 8 (init) at cpu_debugger +0x4: ret zero,(ra)
	db>

What to do next? (or: Where did I go wrong?)

Regards,
Leo de Lange
--
Leo de Lange		email: LeoLange@wxs.nl
Fuut 11			phone: +31 20 6009671

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as
simply messing about in boats.