Subject: Monitor adapter?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/15/2003 19:57:24
I recently picked up an alpha machine, a DEC 3000 300X.  It has a
framebuffer, which drives 1280x1024@72Hz, apparently with no other
options.  I'd like to use this framebuffer.

However, practically all the monitors I have are Sun monitors.  The
Alpha has 3BNC output, so it must be using sync-on-green; most of my
Sun monitors are 13W3, and I don't know what they do for sync, except
that so far they've always proven compatible with the (Sun) video I
drive them with.

Does anyone know anything about what sort of compatability there may
be?  If adapter devices are needed, can they be passive (eg, a splitter
to send green to both green and sync) or need they be active (level
shifter, sync extracter and conditioner, whatever)?

I have a number of Sun monitors on hand, but the only ones which have
BNC inputs (a) appear to be fixed-frequency and (b) use 5BNC, rather
than 3BNC, implying they want separate sync.  Some of the others
appear, based on some Sun doc I found on the Web, capable of
1280x1024@76 and thus probably can do 1280x1024@72, but they use 13W3
and, in the one case I found a pinout, appear to want separate sync.

I do have a peecee monitor with a HD15, but given its physical size and
after looking at its screen, I suspect that it can't really do
1280x1024 on the screen even if it accepts the signals.

Any thoughts?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign