Subject: Re: MAGMA driver source licence [UPDATE]
To: Felix Deichmann <f.dei@web.de>
From: Noah J. Misch <noah@caltech.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/01/2003 13:42:02
Felix,

Thank you.  This is a great service to the community; the previous license
would have effectively prevented the use of this code or anything based on
it in any free operating system.  The new license should work for just
about anyone who needs to use it.

I do have one recommendation.  In the email that you provide as the
license, you snip out everything but the BSD license segment, and include
in your own comments the fact that it applies to the code, and that the
embedded copyright notices can be ignored.  If that is in the original
message, I would include it.  Indeed, barring specific reasons to not do
so, I would include the message in its entirety.
The thing that concerns me is that five years from now, a Magma lawyer
will discover Magma source code in NetBSD.  The people who approved the
release of the code won't be around anymore, and the heavily redacted
email won't be nearly as convincing as a complete one.

Also, perhaps if you know anything about the code, you could write a
README to include with the distribution.  For example, do you know what
versions of Unix and VMS these are supposed to compile under?  I did a
rough sanity check, comparing the includes to those in /usr/sys/include on
Tru64 5.1b (via HP TestDrive), and they are similar.  I didn't try
compiling the drivers, however.

As far as hosting the code, perhaps starting a project on sourceforge.net
would be best?  You could just add the tarball as a released file.

Noah Misch
noah@caltech.edu