Subject: Re: AlphaServer GS140
To: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/24/2003 18:53:51
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:44:54PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:23:30PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:06:23PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> > >
> > > I did come back last night to make some more tests. Results vere
> same,
> > > but consistent. If i have more than one memoryboard attached, it's
> > > HALTing riht after starting the kernel for something (no copypaste)
> > > 'Memory Management Error'
> >

> > Wasn'nt there a hard limit at 2GByte main memory for Tlaser systems?
> > At least the code FreeBSD adopted from NetBSD cannot handle more. Of
> course
> > it could be that this limit has been removed from NetBSD in the
> meantime,
> > I have insufficient time :-( to keep up with the various developments
> > in *BSD.
>
> I don't know, but as the alpha has been 64bit system from very
> begining,
> i find it very hard to believe that i would have such limits?

It has to do with the DMA mappings etc. Believe me, there are/have been
issues here. And they were machine/model specific as well.

> It's very hard me to verify this kind of setup as i have three boards
> and 4GB/board. I don't think i can just rip of half of the memory from
> the board or can i? I opened one and saw 80pin SIMMs (hey, it's digital
> you know - 80pin is very familiar from VAXen and DECstations :)

Should be possible to remove SIMMs, but I never tried. Can't you
limit the amount of memory the system uses from the boot loader?
I would have to chec the NetBSD/alpha docs to see if you can.
At some point this functionality was added to FreeBSD for testing purposes,
it might be in NetBSD as well.

> And we're talking about GS140, which is 6/525. 8400 is supposed to be
> 5/440? Gneration difference with CPUs and stuff?

Yup, but the memory is the same. I had a AS8400 box with 6/525 CPUs
inside ;-)