Subject: AlphaServer GS140
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Pasi Pirhonen <upi@iki.fi>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/23/2003 20:57:55
Hi,

I was 'lucky' and got a AlphaServer GS140 (think has been AlphaServer
8400 originally, but updated). 8CPU (four boards) and 12GB memory
(three boards) and few disks.

I tried to boot NetBSD 1.6.1 with it, but if i had everything pluuged,
it did crash very soon (only had VT-terminal, so i don't have exact
copypaste so far). When i removed two memoryboards, i got much better
results, but still nogo.

panic: cpu_initclocks: no clock attached

was the last message before DB>

So the questions might be

a) Should that run in any combination NetBSD?
b) If not, are someone willing to do some coding?

This one is tricky as it needs three-phase, which i don't have at home,
it's located on my employers place and i cannot get network connection
to the box or even near to that box.

I do have one AlphaServer (2-way, 512MB) next to it for compiling and
that kind of stuff. It's currently runnign linux, but if there is
interest to make this GS140 running NetSSD, i'll install NetBSD to the
4100 too.

So any thoughts?

PS. I was really excited when i first turned it on. It's the 'biggest
iron' i have ever had - just by turning the plastic key :P

               ___o     </\_    upi@iki.fi
   /\o_      _ \<,_   __/\      <URL: http://iki.fi/upi/ >